Death of Love

 



It was Valentine's Day and I was waiting at a restaurant for Thomas. He was late again. Thomas promised he would work on our relationship the day I asked for a divorce, but it was getting clearer to me that he didn’t really mean it. I called him several times, but he didn’t pick up. I was frustrated.

I was about to leave when my phone rang. It was him. He said he was called in for an important mission. He could’ve at least given me a quick call or even left a message before making me wait for over half an hour. I told him we were done and cut the call; he rang me again, but I didn’t answer. I went home and got ready for bed.

Later that night, I woke up sweating. I saw Thomas getting killed in action. I grabbed the phone while my hands trembled. There was a message from him saying he was sorry for not calling me sooner. I felt guilty. I didn’t want that to be the last thing I ever said to him—I wouldn’t have been able to forgive myself if something happened to him.

I was restless the entire night. I skipped work the next day and called the Army Headquarters and asked about his mission. It was classified, but they said he should be back in a week. That was too long. Three days passed by with me barely getting any sleep. It only fueled my anxiety even more.

The following day, around 3:00 a.m., my doorbell rang. It was Thomas. I hugged him the second I saw him. I asked how he was back so soon; he said his part in the mission was done. Several other members of his team were ‘tying up some loose ends’ according to him. We had a short chat before getting ready for bed.

Not long after, I felt a force around my neck; It felt hard to breathe. I opened my eyes to find Thomas on top of me—he was trying to kill me. I struggled to break free from his grip, but it was too tight. I hit him several times, but he wouldn’t budge. The more I moved, the faster I lost my breath. All I could think was ‘Why?’.

“Why? Because you got me killed!”

Had my nightmare really come to pass? I was not going to find out. I felt myself slip out of consciousness within seconds. It was over for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date