The Deadly Dose




I was on the night shift during the daily checks for a patient in a coma when I felt a hand grab me. It was the patient, Dr. Mary Peterson, who had a fall at the hospital ten years ago.

"Nurse, I don't have much time. I need to tell you something before they come for me."

"What? Who is coming for you?"

"I know this will sound crazy, but they tried to kill me."

"What are you talking about? Who tried to kill you?"

"Dr. Allison Tuft and Dr. Priyalal Gunasekera. They weren't giving the morphine to the patients; they were giving them water while stealing the drugs."

"Wait, really?"

"I once saw Gunasekera leaving the hospital with some morphine. He said it was for an elderly lady in the apartment next door, but then I found out that he had stolen what was meant for one of our patients. Several patients died that same month, and when I threatened to tell the authorities, they tried to kill me."

"But I thought you fell down the stairs."

"I didn't fall, Tuft pushed me. Gunasekera wanted to talk me out of blowing the whistle, but Tuft pushed me over when I refused. However, I screamed as she pushed me, so they fled the scene. Please, you have to believe me."

"Alright, I do. Let's get you out of here quickly."

"She's coming," Dr. Peterson said, and closed her eyes.

Dr. Tuft walked in right after. "How's our patient doing, Priscilla? Any change?"

"No, doctor, still the same."

"I see. Let me know if there's any development."

"Okay, doctor."

After she left, I called the police. However, before we knew it, Dr. Gunasekera walked up to the room. It was too late: he had already seen Dr. Peterson awake.

"Dr. Peterson, I'm so glad you're alive."

"You're trying to be the good guy, really?"

"I didn't want to hurt you, you know that. I was actually helping those who couldn't afford the medicine, but Tuft found out and made it her own plan while threatening me. Now that you're awake, you can turn us in. I'm ready to take the responsibility."

"But I'm not," said Dr. Tuft, pointing a gun with a silencer on it at us.

"Allison, don't do this!"

"Do what? Protect myself?"

Allison wouldn't budge. She cocked the gun and placed her finger on the trigger. We were paralysed, staring down the barrel.

"Drop the weapon and get on your knees!" the police yelled, surrounding her.

Allison stood there, silent. She still wouldn't budge. She clenched her jaw before sighing. "Sorry, officers, but I can't do that."

She turned around and pointed the gun at the police, and was shot several times before she hit the ground. But even as she bled to death on the hospital floor, Allison had a smile on her face. It was haunting.

Dr. Gunasekera was arrested and jailed a month later. Dr. Peterson made a full recovery. However, she joined a different hospital.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date