Till Death Do Us Part: Chapter I




I had the perfect life: a great career at a prestigious law firm, a perfect husband, a mother-in-law who treated me like her own, and plans to start a family. However, that all changed with just one phone call. I had spent the entire morning in court and decided to meet my husband, Lyle, for lunch. I called him to confirm our lunch date only to have someone else answer his phone.


The man on the other end said, “Sorry, but Mr. Raymond cannot come to the phone right now. Can I take a message?”


“Who are you and why do you have my husband’s phone?”


“I’m the man who decides your husband’s fate.”


“Who are you?” I asked as my heart pounded in fear.


“It doesn’t matter who I am. What matters is what you are willing to do to save your husband.”


“Okay, what do I have to do?”


“First, listen without interrupting me. Second, if you inform the cops, I will kill him. And third, get me ten million dollars within a week.”


“I don’t have that much money!”


“What about your bank account?”


“I don’t have that much money in my account; all our money is tied to my husband’s electronic business.”


“Well, sell the electronics, your sports car, the paintings, the jewellery—whatever you have.”


“A week is too little time to do all that. I need more time.”


“Make time for it. If you don’t, I’ll send your husband to you piece by piece.”


“Okay, okay! I’ll get you the money. Can you please let me speak to my husband?”


The man agreed and put Lyle on the line. He sounded so weak and tired.


“Lyle! Honey, don’t worry, I’ll get the money he’s asking for soon.”


“I know you will, Terry. Please, be careful.”


“Okay, that’s enough!” the abductor said, cutting Lyle off. “If you ever want to see your husband again, get the money ready soon!” he said, hanging up.


I decided to head straight home. As I drove, it struck me: this man knew everything about us—the painting, sports cars, and the jewellery. He seemed to know too much to be a stranger. “Is he a friend or a colleague? Has he been to my house?”


I went home, got the deed to my house out of the safe, and drove to the bank. I spoke to the manager about mortgaging my house for ten million. I was told that it would take more than a week to get the money. That was too long, but I agreed, just in case. I went back home and went through the names of my art-loving friends, colleagues, and other acquaintances. I managed to sell the Rembrandt for only a fraction of its cost. I sold my jewellery and the sports car for the same. I did what I had to, considering the situation.


I was able to do all this in the nick of time, but I was short one million, which I withdrew from my account. All that time, I also had to answer everyone’s questions as to why I needed so much money so suddenly. I hated it, but tried my best to keep calm and make up excuses. When the time came, I got a call to deliver the money. I had to go to a children’s park alone, put the money bag in a garbage can, and leave immediately without looking back. I had to then go home and wait for Lyle’s return.


I waited for hours, but Lyle never came home. I called his number, but his phone was switched off. I knew it was time to call the cops, which I did. My friend, Captain Mark Drayer, assured me he’d do everything in his power to find my husband. The next day, Mark told me to come to his office. He told me that the money was gone, and that my husband was nowhere to be found. He said they’d continue to look for him and assured me he’d let me know when they find even the faintest clue.


Before I knew it, a whole year passed by without us having any clue whether Lyle was dead or alive. I still hoped that one day, he would walk through the door with his bright smile. Two years after Lyle’s disappearance, I finally decided to go through his stuff and donate what was possible to charity. Little did I know of the secrets that were about to unravel, leading me to question the foundation of our marriage.


I found his journal, and as I picked it up, a piece of paper fell out. To my amazement, it was a receipt for a diamond ring. “Oh, he bought a ring? Maybe it was an anniversary present?” I said to myself as it was only two weeks before our wedding anniversary that he was abducted. I went through the journal to see what he had in store for our wedding anniversary, only to discover the sordid details of a sexual relationship with another woman written all over it. However, Lyle hadn’t disclosed her name in it—there was just a pet name: Sunshine.


To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date