A Cold Case




I was a few minutes away from wrapping up work on my first day at the new station when I received a call from a man called Simon Green. There had been a triple homicide; it was a family. My partner Anthony and I arrived at the scene with a few other officers and found the couple and their kid on the floor. Their necks had been snapped.

We questioned Simon about the incident. He said that he was a friend of the family, and an electrician by profession. Simon said that they had asked his help to repair some wiring issues the day before, but he had been too busy back then and could arrive at the scene only a little while ago.


Seeing the condition the house was in, I was surprised that anyone would want to buy it. According to Simon, the family had been going through some financial trouble, so this was the best they could do for the time being. Inspecting the house, something seemed off. There were no signs of a break-in, but there were signs of a struggle. Had they invited their killer in? Perhaps it was someone they knew…


Anthony seemed troubled stepping into the house alone. I soon came to know why when I questioned him about it.


“This is supposed to be haunted?” I asked.


“Yes, it’s because there was another family was murdered here 30 years ago, and the case was never solved.”


Thirty years… The case was as old as me. I never believed in ghosts, so the stories about the hauntings didn’t bother me. When we arrived at the Medical Examiner’s office, she told us that there were no defensive wounds. There were neither fingerprints nor foreign DNA left behind. Anthony and I investigated the case for two more weeks, reaching one impasse after another. I had my suspicions about Simon at first, but those were eventually cleared as well. We had nothing to go on. To Anthony, this was history repeating itself.


I soon found myself wondering whether it was truly a supernatural incident. I couldn’t leave it be until I knew for certain, so I decided to spend a night at the house. Anthony said he’d join me; he dreaded the idea of me staying there alone. Time crawled slowly that night. Anthony and I found ourselves exhausted just sitting around and waiting for something to happen. When midnight arrived, however, we both felt something stir in the air. The winds grew stronger and colder by the second, creeping up from behind us and surrounding us like a predator. The furniture around us began to shake; soon, Anthony and I found ourselves being flung across the room and into a wall. Suddenly, Anthony began to cough and gasp. I tried to sit up and reach out to Anthony, but I was dragged away from him. Soon, I, too, was choking.


I tried to push and kick my way out of whatever supernatural being that was grasping my neck, but it was to no avail. There was nothing I could see but the dark ceiling as my vision faded to black, there was nothing I could hear but the whirling wind, and there was nothing I could feel but a chill that sank into my throat and slowly siphoned my life away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date