Christmas Magic



I woke up to the warmth of the sunlight brushing against my face. It was a week before Christmas, and my mind wandered off to all the things I needed to wrap up. It was then that the doorbell rang and derailed my train of thought. I opened the door to find a delivery guy with a package.


“Delivery for Francesca Miller. Please sign here.”


I looked at the package. It read, From: Santa Claus.


“Is this some kind of joke?”


The delivery guy shrugged. “I don’t know, ma’am.”


I signed the paper and took the package inside. My husband, Josh, was curious about it.


“I think Dani’s playing a prank on you again, Fran.”


I opened the package and found a green and red suit inside. There was a note next to it, which read: Fran, would you please help me at the factory today? Two of my elves are sick and I could really use your help.


“This is ridiculous.”


Josh covered his mouth as he laughed. “See if it fits.”


“Go away.”


The day passed by with no more surprises. At night, however, I was woken up by thumping on the roof. I tried to get Josh out of bed, but he said it was probably a raccoon again. I took a bat and made my way to the balcony, only to find Santa Claus on the roof.


“This can’t be happening.”


“I can assure you that it is. Would you join me? I could use your help.”


“What about my husband?”


“He can come, too.”


I woke Josh up, and we left with Santa for the North Pole. On our way there, my curiosity gnawed away at my brain.


“Why me?”


“Because we need elven magic to keep the pace going, and you’re our only option at the moment.”


“Me? But I’m human.”


“You’re part elf, Fran. One of your ancestors from several generations ago was one, and you seem to have inherited their magic.”


“Magic? I’ve never been able to do anything out of the ordinary.”


“You just couldn’t awaken them because you didn’t know.”


Santa made Josh and I promise to keep my lineage a secret. Josh joked, saying that no one would believe us even if we did speak about it. For the six days that followed, Josh and I helped the elves at the factory prepare all the presents on Santa’s list.


Once all the presents were delivered and the first light of Christmas emerged, Santa invited Josh and me to a party at the North Pole, which lasted for an entire day. Once it concluded, Santa himself dropped us off at our house.


“I cannot thank you enough for all that you did.”


“I’m glad I was able to help, and I’m thrilled to know that I can use magic.”


Josh and I told Santa not to hesitate to call us if he needed help again. Santa smiled and hugged us before taking to the skies on his sleigh. It was a bittersweet moment for both Josh and me, watching him disappear into the clouds high above. We hoped to meet him again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date