The Wings of Fate




Three days had passed since I moved to the suburbs, but I had yet to see any of my neighbours. Everyone’s lights came on at night, but I never saw anyone on the road, neither during the day nor at night. One evening, I noticed a teenage girl looking at me from her window. I waved at her, but she just disappeared behind the curtains without even a smile. I thought I’d introduce myself to the neighbours in that house and approached their house. The girl from before opened the door.


“Hi, my name is Grace. I recently moved into the neighbourhood.”


“I’m Jo. My mom wanted to visit you, but she’s a little unwell.”


“What’s wrong with her? I’m a doctor; maybe I can help.”


“She has been having a terrible leg pain for the past three days.”


The girl led me to her mom’s bedroom. Once we were inside, she shut the door behind us. There were three more girls inside, whom Jo introduced as her sisters. Jo’s mother was old and frail; she lay there on the bed before me with her eyes closed.


“Come closer, Grace. Let me get a good look at you.”


When I approached her, however, she suddenly grabbed my wrist. I felt a sudden surge of energy enter my body, making me almost jump off the floor. I tried to break free from her grip, but she held me down.


“It’s your turn now,” she said.


“My turn for what?”


“To be their mother.”


Another surge of energy coursed through my veins and knocked me off my feet. As I fell to the floor, the girls encircled me.


“You’re our mother now,” Jo said. Suddenly, her eyes glowed amber, and a pair of bright amber wings grew from her back.


“Wh-what are you?


“We’re fairies, mom.” The same happened with the others, making me crawl back as my body began to shake.


One of the other girls pulled out a mirror and held it before my face. “See? You’re one of us.”


I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. My eyes were amber—and I had wings. “This can’t be…”


“But it is, mom,” Jo said. “Look here.”


She held an old photograph before my face that sent chills down my spine. It was me, but the photo was perhaps a century old.


“How is this even possible?”


“You are the reincarnation of our Fairy Mother. Alena, who passed away just now, merely filled in for the role until your return.”


“You’re lying!” At that very moment, memories I had never known began to flood my mind. It was all real; they were telling the truth. I remembered everything from my past lives. I was truly their Fairy Mother. My life was forever changed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date