A New Beginning



I was passing the mountains on my way home when a biker suddenly raced past me at a bend. Trying not to hit him, I lost control of the car and veered off the road, plunging into the river below. The windshield cracked upon impact and, before I knew it, I was sinking into a watery abyss. I held my breath and tried to open the door, but it was jammed; I kicked it several times, but it wouldn’t budge.


It was not long before I couldn’t breathe anymore—I felt a sharp burn pierce my chest as my vision blurred to a dark haze. Soon, I found myself looking down at my own body by the river bank. I was sitting next to it, or rather floating just above the surface, as a paramedic continued to perform CPR on me.


“Just stop, I’m already dead,” I said, seeing the desperation in her eyes. But right then, something even stranger happened.


“No, you’re not, you still have a pulse,” she whispered.


Did she just hear me?


“Yes, I can both hear and see you. It’s a long story.” She made eye contact with me for a split second as she said that.


In a brief moment, I found my ethereal form begin to fade, and suddenly, I was back in my own body, coughing up water as the paramedic turned me to my side and reassured me that I was going to be alright.


I was rushed to the hospital and discharged later that day. Those few hours of my life were like a dream; I didn’t know whether what I saw was real or if I had just hallucinated all of it. But just as I exited the building, I came face-to-face with the woman who saved my life. I froze the moment I saw her, not knowing what to say.


She greeted me with a warm smile and introduced herself as Amara. “Don’t worry, you weren’t seeing things earlier.”


“B-but how could you see me back then? That makes no sense.”


“I don’t have an explanation for it either, but it all started for me in a similar near-death situation, where I was brought back by someone who could see my spirit. I had just started my law degree at the time, but I switched to medicine right after the incident and decided to be a paramedic instead.”


I was left speechless by Amara’s story, and it made me wonder… “Wait, does that mean I’ll also be able to see spirits?”


“I’m not really sure since I haven’t met anyone else like me, but it’s a possibility.”


Thanking Amara for saving my life, I left the premises in a taxi and was halfway home when things took a weird turn. My taxi driver suddenly had to stop the car by the side of the road as he began to gasp and groan while clutching his chest. I called out for help, but no one was around. I grabbed my phone and called in an ambulance as he struggled to breathe. As the call ended, however, unfortunately, so did his struggle.


But then I heard a whisper in the air before me. “My epinephrine… It’s in the glove box.”


The man’s spirit took form before me. “Please… I don’t want to die.”


I grabbed a syringe from the glove box and injected him with it. By the time the paramedics arrived, he was already stable. Amara was among those who arrived at the scene. I told her what had happened and she said she’d help me make use of this blessing and teach me how to administer first-aid, along with how to act in certain emergency situations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date