Curiosity in Mortality



I was just thirteen years old when my parents died in a car accident. My Grandma took me in right after and spent every cent she had to make sure I got a proper education. Just after I graduated school, however, she suddenly fell ill. I had to push back my plans for college and take care of her. It was the least I could do after everything she did for me.


Grandma passed away a little over a year later.


I started college the following year and took on two jobs to cover my bills, working as a part-time waitress and a bartender. I grew to like the latter because I often got the opportunity to have conversations with people who had been through experiences similar to mine.


One night, it was close to closing time when I noticed one customer still seated at a corner table. He was hunched over and holding his face while sobbing. I approached him and asked what was wrong. He slowly raised his head.


“I… It’s just my mouth. I had a tooth extraction earlier and, somehow, I ended up here.”


I was worried. He wasn’t drunk, but it seemed he was still high. “Did you come here alone?”


“Yes, it’s just me.” He staggered to his feet and then said the strangest thing. “Wait… You’re human?”


“Yes?” Poor guy. He was barely in his right mind.


“Oh, that explains it.” He smiled through his exhaustion. “I’m so sorry.”


The man then snapped his fingers; suddenly, a portal opened next to him. I found myself backing off by instinct.


“I’m sorry, I won’t hurt you,” the man said before stepping through the portal. “Thanks for worrying about me. It’s an uncommon experience for demons.”


The portal closed as he said those words. I was left speechless, clutching the table behind me.


What the hell was that just now?


I couldn’t sleep that night.


A week passed by, and before I knew it, the demon returned to the bar. He stayed until closing time again. I kept my distance, not knowing what to expect. I had a knife, but I wasn’t sure if it would work on him; and given that he didn’t attack me last time, I was hesitant to make any sudden moves.


“Don’t worry, you won’t need that knife,” the demon said.


“How…?”


“Instincts and experience. People tend to think we want their souls; we have plenty of those in hell—an endless supply of criminals.”


“So, why did you come back?”


“A lot of us often traverse through the mortal realm. There’s so much wonder here that you humans take for granted.” The demon looked out at the clear night skies ahead.


“The other day, you said you had your tooth extracted.”


“Oh, yes. That was embarrassing.” The demon laughed. “It was my first time experiencing it. Some demons, like myself, are interested in the mortal experience.”


I found myself chuckling. The thought of such a being wanting to know the human experience was both intriguing and amusing.


The demon introduced himself as Zazel. From that day on, he became a regular customer, and we quickly became good friends. He even offered to help me with college as he had knowledge spanning millennia on different subjects. And I met several other demons and even angels through him. It was truly a unique experience.


My experience with them led me to eventually open my own bar; it became the gathering place for many immortal friends I made over the years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date