The Witch's Blade


As witches, my mom and I never disclosed our secret to anyone in our town, save for my mom’s best friend, Sara. This was a secret Sara alone kept ever since my mom saved her from a group of bullies when they were on their way home after school. Mom had erased the bullies’ memories, and had also planned on doing the same for Sara, but she had pleaded with Mom to let her memories remain. This one act of kindness, however, brought us misfortune in the long run: Sara accidentally revealed our secret, and it wasn’t long before the entire town was after us.


Mom cast a spell to erase the entire town’s memories, and the two of us fled soon after. Mom wasn’t sure if every single person in the town was affected considering the sheer magnitude of the spell, so we stayed out of sight and stuck to the woods for safe passage. If only we had our family heirloom, Mom would have been able to magnify the effects of the spell to ensure complete control over the town.


Once we had moved past two more towns, Mom and I found a secluded cabin in the woods that seemed abandoned. We decided to take refuge there for a few days. Mom asked me to stay inside at all times and went out only once or twice a week at night for grocery shopping. Our stay at the cabin was cut short when a group of people from our hometown spotted Mom while she was out shopping. I broke her rule that night and ventured into the town because she was running late—and that’s when I found them beating her up in an alley, asking her where I was so they could finish us both off at once.


Mom fell unconscious just as our eyes met. I felt my powers take over me. Before I knew it, I had set the entire mob ablaze. But I was too late: Mom had already succumbed to her injuries. I soon heard sirens blaring in the distance and had to leave my mom’s body behind. I fled the area that night and never looked back. Soon, I came to learn that I was wanted for murder, and that rumours of my being a witch had spread across the entire country.


While a lot of people dismissed it as nonsense, there were many who took it seriously and created a network of witch hunt parties just to track me down. The witch hunters would soon come to learn of a sword that could slay any witch and turned their attention to finding that before resuming their search for me. That gave me some extra time to hone my skills and learn new spells. I was stronger than Mom herself in the year that passed.


One night, I woke up to one of the search parties breaking down my doors and windows and pointing their guns at me. One of them stepped forward and pointed the “witch-killing” blade at me, asking me if I was ready to die. They had no idea what they had done. I smiled and summoned the sword to me and imbued it with my magic: the sword sent shockwaves of magical energy all around me, disintegrating the witch hunters in seconds.


If there were such a blade that could kill witches, my family would have rid this world of it a long time ago. The witch hunters had just helped reunite me with my family heirloom that was stolen and sealed away long ago. I altered the memories of the entire country with the sword.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

Descending Shadows: Breakout