Eternal Curse
As a child, I would frequent the town’s museum since my father was its curator. I learned something new every time I visited the establishment; Dad had a wealth of knowledge that never ceased to surprise me. When I grew up, he took me under his wing, as I studied to take his place when he was ready to retire.
A week after taking Dad’s place as the curator, I experienced a strange encounter that left me frozen. After examining one of the latest skeletal remains discovered in West Asia till late, I went home and dozed off on my sofa while watching TV. However, I was woken up at 03:00 a.m. by my doorbell. Who stood before me in the rain was a middle-aged woman who seemed scared and confused.
“Who are you?” I asked.
“Ankha,” she replied. “I was to rule Ur, but the throne was usurped.”
I first thought she required medical attention, but she began to explain things from that period, and information on recent findings that we were yet to uncover. I was as confused as I was intrigued. Ankha told me that the skeletal remains we had found were of hers, and that she was merely an apparition shackled to this world, waiting for the day someone would release her from the ‘Eternal Curse’ placed upon her.
During the next two days, Ankha filled me in on everything I needed to know. She opened up about her past, the history of her people, and about the man who betrayed her trust and murdered her for her throne. Ankha’s cousin, Ahros, had been envious of her all their lives. With the help of a sorcerer, he had taken Ankha’s life and bound her soul to this world as an anchor from which to draw power.
Ahros was still alive because of Ankha’s curse. She said he only showed his face to the public every four hundred to five hundred years before returning to the shadows. Over millennia, Ahros has amassed wealth and power that rivalled the biggest names on the news. I recognised his current name as one of the largest investors in arts and crafts.
Together, we devised a plan to invite Ahros to my house to discuss business over dinner. Ankha was the only one who could undo the spell, but she needed physical contact with Ahros. We painted sigils for entrapment and defence on the living room floor, safely hidden under the carpets. Ahros arrived, as hoped, and by the time he saw Ankha’s face across the room, it was too late for him. Ahros was frozen where he stood, unable to even speak.
Ankha stepped forward and placed her hand on his chest. “Just like you said before, cousin, this isn’t personal…”
With those words, magic seeped out of Ahros’ body and flowed into Ankha, her body slowly reforming with flesh and bone as Ahros’ entire being turned to ashes. Only seconds passed before he was reduced to scattered specks on the ground. Ankha gasped and fell to her knees the second she took physical form. She needed rest before she could move around like she used to.

Comments
Post a Comment