Bonds Undone: The Prints



“All rise,” the bailiff announced as Judge Charles Irwin stepped into the courtroom. The case then began when the defendant was asked, “How do you plead?”

“Not guilty, your honour” he replied.

“Okay, let the proceedings begin,” the judge said.

It was the Jane Anderson murder case, where she was alleged to have been killed by her husband, Anderson.

The defendant Cyril Anderson was put on the stand.

“Mr. Anderson, did you kill your wife?” the prosecutor, Warren Ferdinanz, asked.

“No, I didn't,” he replied.

“Then how do you explain your fingerprints being on the murder weapon?” he asked.

“I saw my wife on the floor with a knife in her stomach, so I pulled it out. What else was I supposed to do?” Anderson replied.

“Don’t you know that pulling the knife out could actually lead a victim to bleed to death?” the prosecutor asked.

“No, I didn’t. I’m not a doctor,” he replied.

“And isn’t it interesting that only your fingerprints were found on the knife and no one else’s?” Ferdinanz asked.

“Couldn't the killer have worn gloves at the time?” Anderson replied.

“But you didn’t call the emergency services first, did you? Shouldn’t you have done that before doing anything?” he asked.

“I saw my wife on the floor and I panicked. I did what I thought would help her and called an ambulance right after,” Anderson said.

“Then what happened?” the prosecutor asked.

“By the time they arrived, she was dead,” he replied.

“And didn’t the reports say she died of excessive blood loss?” Ferdinanz asked.

“Yes,” he replied.

“And can you tell me where you were between 12:00 and 1:00 a.m., when your wife was attacked?” he asked.

“I was out for a walk. I know how it sounds, but I couldn't sleep; and when I can't sleep, I go out. It helps me calm down,” he replied.

“Calm down? Were you upset about something? Was it your wife; did you have a fight?” Ferdinanz asked.

“No, I didn't fight with my wife; I had some issues at work. And it took an hour because after walking, I sat on a park bench for a while before heading back home,” he replied.

“What issues, may I ask?” the prosecutor asked.

“Issues with my partner; he's trying to undermine me, as he always has,” Anderson replied.

“Why do you think so?” he asked.

“Because he had a thing for my wife. My wife had told him many times that she wasn’t interested, yet he never listened. I think it’s even quite possible that he killed her,” he replied.

“Did you mention that in your statement?” the prosecutor asked.

“No, I didn't. I didn't think of it at that time,” he replied.

Next was defence attorney, Jeffrey Barnes’ turn.

“Did you love your wife, Mr. Anderson?” he asked. 

“Yes, more than anything,” he replied.

“And your partner, on the other hand, was obsessed with her, wasn't he?” Barnes asked.

“Yes, and once, when she turned him down, had said that if he couldn't have her, nobody could,” Anderson replied.

“That sounds like a threat, don't you think?” the attorney asked.

“I believe so, he replied. 

Next it was Anderson’s partner, officer Darrel Frazer, who was put on the stand.

“Mr.  Frazer, did you try to sleep with your partner's wife?” Barnes asked

“No, I didn't. Jane was like a sister to me. Anderson is not just my partner, he's my friend; we were friends even before joined the police force—and I was also the best man at his wedding,” he replied.

“Yet you tried to sleep with his wife,” the attorney said.

“I didn’t try to sleep with her, nor did I kill her. It isn’t even my fingerprints that are on the murder weapon,” Frazer replied.

Next was Ferdinanz’ turn to question Frazer.

“You knew Anderson for how long exactly?” he asked.

“Eight years: three on the police force and five years before that,” he replied.

“And how would you describe him?” the prosecutor asked.

“He can be very temperamental and possessive; Cyril didn't allow her to hang out with anyone—not even with her girlfriends. He always said they were a bad influence on her as most of them were single. He even joked once that if she were to look at another guy, he would kill her,” Frazer replied.

“Do you know where he goes for walks at night when he can't sleep?” Ferdinanz asked.

“Walk? You wouldn’t see him having a walk unless he had a gun against his head,” Frazer said.

It was also revealed in court that the murder weapon belonged to a set of knives that Anderson and his wife owned. However, as it was getting late, the case was refixed for the following week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date