Unseen Chaos
For as long as I could remember, I had always been clumsy in the most dangerous of ways. I would often fall down stairs and run my bike into trees, but somehow, I would also walk away from such accidents with barely a scratch on me. My parents were both terrified and astonished; they said I had the wildest luck imaginable. I found ‘chaotic’ to be a more accurate description of it as I grew up.
Even after I had moved out and started working, I would often run into accidents both indoors and on the road. I would often fall in the office or crash my car on the road. My accidents were so frequent that the insurance company knew me on a first-name basis and dreaded it whenever I called. My parents urged me to sell my car and use a taxi, or even public transport, but I did not feel it was necessary. I never got hurt, and I never hurt anyone else either. I found it strange, recognizing the pattern of not even causing any property damage in my accidents.
However, given how many times I crashed my car, I decided to sell it and get a much cheaper, secondhand car. At the automobile shop, I found myself strangely drawn to a specific car. It was the cheapest they had, manufactured before I was even born. From the moment I got behind its wheel, I sensed a strange presence around me. It wasn’t foreboding, and, in fact, I found myself avoiding accidents with ease. It was as if the car had a mind of its own and acted of its own accord. Two months passed, and I experienced no issues. The days of accidents were finally behind me.
Curious about the strange presence I had been sensing since I bought the car, I decided to finally muster the courage to seek answers. I asked if there was something with me in the car, and to my surprise, it was a spirit that answered. The spirit introduced herself as Mara. She said she was a chaos mage who bound her soul to her car decades ago to guide her children. Mara said I was the same as her, and that it was because I had no knowledge of how to control my magic that I frequently found myself in accidents.
I was confused since my mother never showed signs of having knowledge of chaos magic, but Mara said it was not guaranteed to pass on to each generation. According to her, chaos magic could skip generations and re-emerge decades later. I drove home to meet my parents and introduced them to Mara. Although alarmed by the news, they were relieved to hear that I finally had help to control the chaos within me.

Comments
Post a Comment