The Unseen: In the Blood



I woke up in a hospital bed, wondering how I got there. “Oh, Mrs. Estephan, you're awake. Wait, I'll get the doctor,” a nurse said. The doctor walked in and informed me that I had a panic attack. ‘Poor Miles, he can't get a good night's sleep thanks to my issues,’ I thought. “Mrs. Estephan, I want to talk to you about your health scare?” Doctor Rhodes said. “Yes, doctor, shoot away,” I replied. “Well, you don't have any blocks in your heart, so it seems as if you had a panic attack,” he said. “Are you being treated for any health issues?” he asked. “No, I don't have any of that. I was given a clean bill of health in my yearly health check-up, which was two months ago,” I replied. “Okay, then have you been experiencing any stress? What I mean is, have there been any stressful events in your life recently?” he asked. “Well, I have been having a problem which has been causing me to have sleepless nights fueled with terror,” I replied. “What does that mean?” he asked. 

I explained my situation to the doctor, along with the information about the therapy; my mother's suicide, Jonathan's death, and all the medicine and witchcraft. He listened very carefully and asked if I've got any medicine at home. “Yes, doctor, I do. The first and second batches of medicine were thrown away as the doctor gave me a new diagnosis after hearing the information of my mother's suicide, which I was reluctant to disclose at first as I didn't want to be labelled as a mentally unstable person,” I said. “So, after the medicine was changed, you still experienced these nightmares?” the doctor asked. “Yes. Why, do you think they stressed me enough to land me here?” I asked. “Interesting,” he said, keeping a finger at his lip. “Interesting how?” I snapped, feeling irritated by his comment. “Why does this keep happening? Why do the drugs work on some days and not on the other days?” he asked. “Maybe, I'm mentally unstable? Is that what you presume?” I asked. “No, Mrs. Estephan, I don't presume; I check for facts,” he replied. “Well, then why is this happening?” I asked. “I'll let you know as soon as your blood work results arrive, but I'll need you to get me your medication;” he said; “call your husband and ask him to bring the medicine over.”

I looked around for my phone to call Miles, but it wasn't with me. ‘It must be at home,’ I said to myself, wondering how to call Miles. Then Miles arrived, looking concerned. “Oh, thank god you’re awake. I was worried sick,” he said, planting a kiss on my forehead. “Were you at home, Miles?” I asked, wondering where he disappeared to while I was in the hospital. “Home, no babe; how can I go home when you're fighting for your life? I was at the chapel, lighting candles and praying for your recovery,” he said. “Oh, thanks, babe; but the doctor said it was only a panic attack brought on by stress,” I said. “Oh, thank god. I was worried that you had a heart attack. I don't know what I would do if I lost you,” he said.

“Oh, that's lovely. I envy you,” the doctor said, walking in. “Why, doctor?” I asked. “Because you have so much love between you two, something some guys like us are not lucky to have,” he replied. “What do you mean, doctor? you’re a good-looking guy, not to mention a doctor; I would think that women would stand in line to be your wife,” I said. “You think? Well, I married the perfect woman who seemed to adore me, until she decided that I wasn't at home enough and divorced me to be with her ex. She took half of everything and, if that wasn't enough, she took my dog, too. I had the dog before I married her, but she wanted it. She wanted her pound of flesh, and hired a better lawyer than mine to get it,” he said, sounding bitter. “Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, but don't give up on love,” I said, '' Yes, doctor, your Mrs. Right will be right around the corner,” Miles said. “I hope so, but I'm happy for you; and I ask you, if you find out that you don't love each other anymore, just separate amicably, please. I would hate to see so much love turn into hate,” the doctor said as he checked my charts.

I told Miles about the medicine and asked him to bring it over to show the doctor. “Really, he wants to see the medicine, but why?” Miles asked. “I don't know. Maybe he wants to see what medicine I take?” I replied. “Okay, I'll bring it in the evening,” he said.

Miles came in the evening with the medicine, which I handed over to the doctor when he arrived. He checked the labels and said that they were antipsychotics, but that he should check them. He gave the nurse the drugs and asked it to be checked. “Why, doctor? If the label says what the drug is, why do you need to analyse it?” I asked. “Just for safety reasons, Mrs. Estephan, don't worry,” he said. “I brought you a smoothie, babe,” Miles said, handing me a bottle. “No, I'm afraid she can't drink or eat anything until the blood tests are done,” the doctor said. “What blood tests? Didn't we already do the blood work, doctor?” I asked. There are a couple of more tests to be done,” he said.

I wondered what he was looking for? Did he suspect foul play, and if so, why? My therapist wouldn’t poison me; she has nothing to gain by that? I was going out of my mind, stuck in the hospital and wondering what was happening at work when my phone rang. It as the GM. He wanted to know what was happening. I explained that I was sick and that I'd be back in a few days. I went to sleep worrying about my nightmares as the doctor decided to not give me any and keep me under watch. “We’ll be alerted to any unusual activities by your monitor,” Doctor Rhodes said.

I woke up feeling refreshed and was surprised to find that it was already the next day. I didn't take any drugs, yet I didn't have any nightmares either. “Why not, why today?” I wondered. “Good morning, Mrs. Estephan. I trust you slept well,” Doctor Rhode's said. “Yes, surprisingly well,” I said. “There was no spike in your monitor, so there were no nightmares,” he said. “Yes, but, I didn't take any medication,” I said. “That's right,” he replied. “I don't understand; at home, I couldn't get any sleep with or without medication,” I said. “I have a theory, but I need your help to come to a clarification,” he said. “Sure, doctor, what can I do?” I asked. “Don't take any medication, except for what I give you. Not even vitamins or birth control pills,” he said. “Why?” I asked. “Just trust me, don't take any drugs other than what I prescribe,” he said.

“How are you today, honey?” Miles asked, walking in. “I'm good,” I said. “No nightmares?” he asked. “Surprisingly, no,” I replied. “Well, let's hope it never comes back,” Miles said, sounding hopeful. “Yes, hopefully,” I said. The doctor walked in and said, “Mrs. Estephan, you can go home tomorrow.” “Really?” I asked, feeling glad as I need to get back to work. “Yes, you are okay, now, “he said. “What about the nightmares?” Miles asked. “I think it's over, but let's wait and see,” he said. The next day, I woke up again, fully rested with no nightmares to scare the living hell out of me. The doctor cut the ticket and sent me home on the promise that I would do exactly as he said.

As nightfall arrived, we went to bed. “Shouldn't you take the medication?” Miles asked. “No, don't need to,” I replied. Things were fine as I woke up the next day feeling great. I decided to go to work, against Miles’ wishes. When I came back from work, he was busy writing. “How is it going?” I asked. “Great. I wrote two whole chapters today,” Miles said. “Really, can I see?” I asked.”Not yet, babe; I have to edit it first or you won’t understand a thing, ” he said. “Okay, when you’re ready,” I said.

‘No, not again! Why is this happening to me?’ I asked myself, trembling in fear. After what felt like an eternity, Miles put the light on. “What's wrong? Did you have another nightmare?” he asked, hugging me. “It's not another nightmare; it's the same damn thing,” I snapped, feeling irritated that he keeps calling it a nightmare when it seems to be more. “Okay, you need to take the medicine,” he said. “No, I'm not going to take any medicine," I said. “But then how will you get better?” he asked. “I don't know,” I said. “Please keep the light on,” I said as he reached to knock it off. “Okay,” he said, taking his hand away.

I woke up again terrified and found myself in the darkness with my worst nightmare. I lay there, scared out of mind until Miles put his arms around me in his sleep. “Miles,” I whispered with the greatest effort. “Giada, what's wrong? And why is the light off?” he asked switching it on. It was gone, three was nothing to be seen.”Did you switch it off?” I asked. “No, you asked me not to, remember? he answered. “Okay, so then did that thing in the nightmare switch it off?” I asked, feeling irritated. “I don't know, Giada. Maybe you did in your sleep,” he replied. 

I called Doctor Rhodes and explained what had happened, and he asked me to come over with my medicine, which I did on my way to the office. He asked the nurse to draw my blood and test it for the drugs in my system and then asked for my medicine bottle, which was basically birth control pills as he did not prescribe me any other drugs. “Swing by after work; I may have some answers for you by then,” he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date