The Morhex: Into the Unknown



“No, please, don't kill me!” I shouted in fear for my life, putting my hands out in front of me as a fanged monstrosity came at me. It was ten feet tall and had crimson skin.

‘Is this it? Is this how my life ends?’ I asked myself as I closed my eyes.

I kept my eyes closed for a few seconds, but nothing happened. Right then, there was a loud sound which made me open my eyes. To my amazement, I saw a girl with red hair standing in front of me with her back facing me. The monster was lying on the ground before her, possibly dead.

‘Wait, what just happened? Who she is, and how did she stop the monster?’ I asked myself in shock.

The girl then turned around and looked at me before turning back at the monster. It got back to its feet and rushed towards her in rage as she raised her hands, uttering words I didn't  understand and raising the monster to the sky.

‘What the hell is going on here?’ I asked myself as I watched the monster scream in agony before my eyes.

‘I need to get the hell out of here quickly, before she turns around,’ I said to myself as I got to my feet.

I tried to rush out of there while that woman, whoever she was, fought the monster by herself. 

“Leaving so soon?” she asked, bringing me to a halt.

I turned around and faced her, not knowing what to say.

“I save your life and you just walk away without so much as a ‘thank you’?” she asked.

“I’m sorry,” I said, feeling embarrassed.

“It’s okay, son,” she said.

“Son?” I looked at her confused.

“Yes, I’m your mother,” she replied.

“What? Was that supposed to be a joke?” I asked.

“I’m not joking,” she said.

“Then you must be crazy, because you’re too young to be my mother,” I said.

“On the contrary, I am sixty years old,” she replied.

“That's impossible! You don't look a day over 25,” I said.

“Believe me, son, I’m telling the truth,” she said, stroking my head.

“Stop it! This isn’t funny!” I yelled, pushing her hand away.

“It’s okay, I understand your suspicion—and I don't blame you. But, just take a look at this and tell me it isn't you,” she said, handing me a photograph.

It was her and I, but she hasn't aged a day.

“How’s this possible?” I asked.

 “I am an immortal witch,” she said.

“A what now?” I asked.

“You heard me right,” she replied.

“Witches aren't real,” I said.

“Then how do you explain everything that transpired here?” she asked.

“I can't,” I replied.

Saying I was lost would’ve been an understatement, but I wasn’t going to accept such an explanation just yet either.

“You're my son; that’s no lie,” she said, looking into my eyes.

Her eyes were the same as mine: blue with a tinge of grey. I couldn’t help but think that maybe she was telling the truth.

“I gave you up to keep you safe from your father,” she said.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Your father was the demon king of Dorasaz, the world of dark magic. He wanted to take you  away so he could turn you evil and use you as a weapon,” she said.

“Why are you talking about him in the past tense? Is he dead?” I asked.

“Yes, I killed him,” she replied.

“I see... And why are you back now?” I asked.

“I was never away, really; I’ve always watched over you from a distance,” she said.

“Wait, is that why I’ve always felt like someone was watching me?” I asked.

She nodded in reply.

“So, wait, if my father was a demon, and you're a witch, why don't I have any powers?” I asked.

“I bound your powers because together, your father’s powers and mine would’ve made you too powerful—and I didn’t want you to end up abusing them,” she replied.

“So, you get to be a witch and have your powers, but I get nothing?” I asked. 

“Be glad that you are mortal, my son; this life isn't a happy one,” she said.

“I want my powers back! You can't keep me defenceless like this. What if another one of those things crawl out of the woodwork later? I’d like to be able to defend myself,” I replied.

“Okay, as you wish. But, be careful what you wish for,” she said before reciting what I believed was a spell.

“Okay, it's done,” she said.

“How do I test my powers?” I asked.

“Why don’t you try moving that car over there? You can do so by just extending your hand,” she replied.

“Seriously? Are you sure?” I asked.

She nodded.

I did as she said, and to my surprise, the car rose into the air.

“Awesome!” I said, thrilled about the discovery.

“Use your powers wisely,” she said before turning around.

“Wait, you’re leaving already?” I asked.

“Yes, but I’ll be back soon. Just don't do anything I wouldn't do,” she said before walking away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date