Descending Shadows: The Jaws of Death



I hugged Nolan as he cried, but he pushed me away.

“No, leave me alone! My sister’s gone because of you!” he yelled.

I was shocked, and speechless. I couldn’t believe what he had just said, but I knew he was overwhelmed with grief.

I turned around to leave, but then he apologised: “I’m sorry, Moon… I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

“It’s alright, I’m going to get her back.”

“What? The portal’s closed, Moon. There’s nothing we can do about it.”

“I’m going to reopen it.”

“That’s madness! You’re not a witch; and even if you were, this is too dangerous!”

“And I’m going to try it anyway,” I said as we reached Arabella’s house.

I took her spellbook and went through it. I found the spell she used, as well as the one her sister had used.

“So, what do we do?” Nolan asked

“You sit this one out. I’m doing this by myself,” I replied.

“Like hell, you are! She’s my sister; there’s no way I’m sitting this out! I’m sorry I accused you earlier; that was terrible; but you and I both know this is no easy task.”

“I know, and I don’t hold it against you, Nolan. But enough lives have been at risk over this already.”

“But this isn’t your place to decide… Not this time.”

I couldn’t argue with his determination; it burned through his eyes.

We then went back home and discussed what our plan was going to be. Later, with the weapons and Serpian antidotes all ready, we coated our clothes in Zavaryan salt before leaving. I left a note and video for Jason, just in case I wasn’t able to make it back. I left it with one of his teachers back home. Jason watched with sad eyes as I left. I told him it would be a while before I could return.

Back at the spot where Arabella opened the portal before, I chanted. It was taking longer than it did before, and Nolan was becoming restless. We were about to stop when, suddenly, the space before us broke apart, forming a portal and dragging us in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date