Spirit Friend




I was brushing my teeth in front of the bathroom mirror when suddenly, writing began to emerge on it. “Hi,” it said. I dropped my toothbrush into the sink and staggered backwards as more words emerged. “Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you,” the message continued, and ended with a smiley face.


I ran out of the bathroom and locked the door behind me. I moved away and fell on my bed, holding my head as I looked down at the mattress. “What’s happening? Am I seeing things? Am I dreaming?” I pinched myself, but unfortunately, I was awake. I clenched my fists and went back into the bathroom to make sure I wasn’t making a mistake; I hoped the mirror would be clear of any writing when I stepped inside. But no, those words were still there.


I ran out of the bathroom once again and headed back to my bedroom. Then, it was the dressing table mirror that showed writings. “I’m sorry I scared you. I just want to be your friend.”


“Wh-what are you?” I asked.


“I’m a spirit. Remember you wished you had a good friend yesterday while looking into the mirror? I came here after hearing you.”


“I don’t want a spirit friend,” I said. My body was trembling. “G-go away!”


“Okay, I’m sorry… Goodbye, Catalina,” more writing came on the mirror, and disappeared right after.


After that encounter, the spirit stopped showing up again. Eventually, I felt bad for telling it to leave. Around a week later, I stood in front of the bathroom mirror once again and called out the spirit, but it didn’t show up until I apologised for telling it to leave. I asked the spirit what its name was; it turned out to be a girl called Julia. She and I became close friends after that, and she often helped me remember a lot of things I would otherwise easily forget. One night, she actually saved my life.


Burglars broke into my house in the middle of the night. There were two of them, and they both had knives. I pepper-sprayed one man and kicked him down, but the other one managed to overpower me. I started screaming for help when Julia intervened. In a flash, she grabbed the man and pulled him into the mirror. He shrieked and struggled as he sank behind into reflection and vanished out of sight.


The other man who got pepper-sprayed partially saw what had happened as well, and he was terrified. “Witch! Stay away from me!” he yelled before jumping out of the window and making his escape. I laughed as he vanished into the shadows. Even Julia was laughing; she put several laughing emojis on the mirror.


“What about the man in the mirror, Julia? What will we do about him?”


“He’ll be my amusement for now… No one hurts my friend.”


Those words scared me a little, but I knew Julia could have harmed me anytime before if she truly wanted to. She continued to be my friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descending Shadows: Shelter

Descending Shadows: Invasion

A Summoned Date